Independent School Associations
The Commission on Independent Schools accredits elementary, secondary, and K-12 schools in New England. There are two other independent school associations in New England that accredit elementary schools only.
The Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) accredits elementary schools in the State of Connecticut. CAIS worked jointly with the Commission on Independent Schools in developing the 2007 Manual for School Evaluation and schools accredited by CAIS use this manual to prepare their self-studies.
Elementary schools outside Connecticut may choose accreditation by the Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE).
For information on schools jointly accredited by the Commission on Independent Schools and another accrediting agency, please click here. You may also find the following links to other independent school associations helpful:
- American Montessori Society (AMS)
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Precollegiate Arts Schools (ACCPAS)
- The Association of Boarding Schools
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
- Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE)
- Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA)
- Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- Independent School Association of Northern New England (ISANNE)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
- New England Diocesan School Offices